What makes us unique
Up to $10,000 at 0% interest
Yes, 0% interest – no catch. We’re a non-profit aimed at expanding access to capital.
Free marketing and new customers
Market your product to Kiva’s community of 1.6 million supportive lenders.
Build your business credit
When you fully repay your loan, we report your good standing to build your business credit.
“With a Kiva loan, I’ve been able to grow my shoe business, create 40 jobs, and work towards saving a million tires.”
“After years of working for someone else, I followed my dream of bringing the food I grew up with to my new home.”
“Kiva was really good for us because it reached a lot of people outside our network.”
Tinyfield Roofhop Farm
“I’ve been able to accomplish my dream of ownership, and with Kiva lenders’ support, I’m moving forward with my dream of expansion.”
Cafeto Coffee Shop
Find out if you’re prequalified, then easily fill out our online application.
Prove your creditworthiness by inviting friends and family to lend to you.
Go public on Kiva, with your loan visible to over 1.6 million lenders worldwide.
Build your business credit and customer base by repaying your Kiva loan.
The 0% small business loan that’s for real.
less impersonal than the data-driven approach taken by mainstream lenders.
At Kiva, we believe in character over credit and the power of community-based lending. Because of these beliefs, we provide funding opportunities for entrepreneurs where conventional lenders won’t.
Here’s what you need to qualify
Frequently asked questions
Do I qualify for a Kiva loan?
Unlike traditional bank loans, Kiva loans don’t require a minimum credit score, years of cash flow documents or collateral. But you do need to meet the following minimum criteria in order to be considered:
- You and your business must be based in the United States.
- You must be over 18 years old.
- You must be using the loan for business purposes.
- Your business must not be engaged in any of the following activities: multi-level marketing / direct sales; illegal activities (e.g. gambling, scams); or pure financial investing (e.g. stocks)
- You cannot currently be in foreclosure, bankruptcy, or under any liens.
- You must be willing to demonstrate your social capital by having a small number of your friends and family make a loan to you.
How does the loan process work?
To apply for a Kiva U.S. loan, start an application here.
What is social underwriting and why is it a requirement to get a Kiva U.S. loan?
At Kiva, we envision a world where someone’s creditworthiness is determined by the strength of their character rather than their credit history. We’re working to re-insert human relationships into the financial system by using social underwriting to assess the creditworthiness of our borrowers.
What do I need to prepare to apply for a Kiva loan?
In the application, we’ll ask you for basic financial information about you and your business, but we will not ask you to upload any financial documents.
What types of businesses get funded on Kiva?
Kiva supports a variety of businesses, including farmers, barbershop owners, event planners and more. You can check out the businesses that are currently fundraising here.
How do entrepreneurs use their Kiva loan?
Entrepreneurs use their loans in many different ways. Some examples include:
- A $4,000 loan to begin commercial production of granola bars, which employs people who have been formerly incarcerated.
- A $5,000 loan for marketing material to expand a non-profit organization.
- A $10,000 loan to build a walk-in refrigerator for an organic farm.
- A $3,000 loan to help a first-generation immigrant make a website for their hazelnut spread business.
- A $1,000 loan to pay for a stall at an artisan jewelry fair.
How quickly can I get funded?
On Kiva, you have some control over how quickly you receive funding. Once your application is submitted, our team will get back to you with next steps within a few business days. Submitting a great photo and business story will help your application make it through the review process more quickly.